Community Peace Officers

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

Community Peace Officers help ensure our community is a safe and secure place where we can live, work and raise families. They perform a number of duties from enforcing various laws to providing security in public facilities. The Town of Penhold Community Peace Officers work alongside community members, provincial agencies, and the RCMP to provide proactive education and enforcement of municipal and provincial laws. They are appointed by the province under the Peace Officer Act.

 Contact Info:

  • email
  • phone 403-886-3286 (Please listen carefully to all options if call is answered by voicemail)

For emergencies call 9-1-1

No matter how small it may seem, all crime should be reported. Depending on the crime, reports can be made to 9-1-1, the RCMP non-emergency line, RCMP online reporting and the Penhold Community Peace Officers.

When you see a crime, suspicious behavior or an unsafe situation within Penhold, we ask all residents to report it in one of the following ways:

For urgent matters, call 9-1-1 if you:

  • See a crime in progress
  • Need immediate response from police, ambulance or fire department

For non-urgent matters, call the Innisfail RCMP Complaint line at 403-227-3341 to report concerns including:

  • A crime that has already taken place
  • Suspicious vehicles or people
  • Noise complaints after 10:00 p.m.

For Bylaw issues call 403-886-3286 to report concerns including:

  • Noise Complaints between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
  • Animals at large
  • Parking issues
  • Nuisance / neighborhood concerns and complaints

The RCMP online reporting tool is can be used to report the following:

  • Damage / mischief to property under $5,000
  • Theft of bicycles under $5,000
  • Theft from vehicle under $5,000
  • Lost property

Incidents must satisfy the following conditions to be reported using the online reporting tool:

  • No witnesses or suspects
  • Item(s) lost or stolen must cost less than $5,000
  • Vandalized property will cost less than $5,000 to repair
  • There are no items involving personal identity, firearms, license plates or decals

The RCMP deals with criminal code (theft, sexual assault, murder, robbery, domestic, etc.) and CPOs cannot.

The RCMP can lay criminal charge offences and CPOs cannot.

The RCMP can enforce all Federal, Provincial and Municipal Laws and CPO’s deal with Provincial Statutes (Traffic Safety Act, Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act, Trespassing Act, etc) and local Bylaws (Traffic, Land Use, Community Standards, Utility, etc) where they are employed with Traffic Safety Act and have jurisdiction where are employed unless there is an agreement between both parties.


· Car Accident

· Vehicle / Structure Fire

RCMP Complaint Line

· Theft

· Suspicious Activity

· Domestic Disputes

· Fraud

· Sexual Assault

· Noise Complaints 

Community Peace Officers (CPO)

· Bylaw Concerns

· Noise Complaints

· Traffic and Parking Enforcement

· Unsightly Premises

· Car Seat Safety

· Bike Helmet Safety

· Bullying

· Community Standards Enforcement 

· Dog or Cat at large

The Town of Penhold Community Peace Officers are trained in Animal Control Services and are experienced in trapping and controlling animals.

If you are looking for a lost pet, contact the Community Peace Officers at 403-886-3286.

If you have any dog or cat issues within the municipality of Penhold please call 403-886-3286.

In the event our Community Peace Officers are unable to help you, or are unavailable at the time of your call, please listen carefully to the entire message, a number to a private contractor will be provided.

Community Peace Officers have been directed by Council to enforce all off-leash dog violations they encounter. Regardless of fencing or remoteness, there are no off leash authorized areas within the Town of Penhold.  As a good neighbour, please remember keeping your pet on a leash helps keep pets safe and parks clean, prevents bites and fights and reduces stress for everyone walking.

 Quick Facts to remember: 

  1. All dogs / cats over 4 months must be registered with the town.
  2. All dogs / cats must be on-leash at all times within the town boundary.  
  3. Owners are required to immediately remove defecation from any property but their own.

To report animal abuse or neglect, please contact the SPCA at 1.800.455.9003 or

Town of Penhold Dog Bylaw

Town of Penhold Cat Bylaw

Click here to register your dog(s) or cat(s)

Making a Complaint by Phone

For faster assistance: if your complaint is related to Animal Control please call 403-886-3286.

For all other Municipal Bylaw or Violation related complaints, please be ready with the following information for faster response.

  • Your name, address and primary contact phone number
  • The address of the exact location of the property for which you wish to register a complaint about or the vehicle style, make and license plate
  • A brief and concise description of the complaint

All information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted – you must identify yourself.

Freedom of Information and Privacy Act

Complaint line: 403-886-3286

After submitting your complaint it will be sent the Town of Penhold Community Peace Officers department where:

  • A file is created specifying your concerns
  • The officer investigates your complaint
  • Depending on the circumstances, the officer may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame, may issue a work order if related to unsightly properties for clean up, or issue a fine immediately.
  • The officer may contact your to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Complaint Follow Up

A Peace Officer will attempt to contact the complainant to acknowledge receipt of their complaint.

Municipal Violation Ticket Review

If you have received a Municipal Violation Ticket and wish to discuss this violation with a Peace Officer, the following process must be followed.

A request for an Administrative Review on a Municipal Violation Ticket you have been issued can be submitted in writing no later than 10 calendar days from the offence date.

Municipal Violations Administrative Review Form

If you would like to print off the form, you may submit it no later than 10 calendar days from the offence date in any one of the following ways:

  • Fax to 403-886-4039 
  • In person by dropping form off at the address located at the bottom of the form.
  • By emailing the Peace Officers at 

Park, Pack & Prepare your RV in 72 hours: 

Between April 1 and October 15 of each year, recreational vehicles (RV) may be parked on Town of Penhold roads for up to 72 consecutive hours for the purposes of loading and unloading. After 72 hours, RVs must be moved to a different location for at least 48 consecutive hours before being parked on the road again.

RV Parking on Private Property: 

  • RVs may be parked on an approved hard surface* parking pad** (page 68 of Land Use Bylaw) in the front yard of a residential parcel or the front or a flanking side yard of a residential parcel as long as they do not overhang the sidewalk or road. 
  • RVs cannot be parked on landscaped areas, including front or side yards, on your property.
  • At no time shall any recreational vehicle be parked with slide outs obstructing safe movement of vehicle traffic or pedestrian traffic.
  • No part of any RV can overhang sidewalk, street, or lane or otherwise create a traffic hazard.
  • RVs must not block traffic or pedestrians 
  • No unattached RVs / trailers can be parked in front of, across from or adjacent to residential property at any given time.

*Hard Surface means asphalt, concrete or paving stone or similar material that is used in the construction of a driveway or parking area, but does not include gravel or granular material. (page 21 Land Use Bylaw)

**Legal Parking Pad shall include the area used as a driveway to an attached front drive garage and an area that will include the extension of the sidewalk to the front door to a maximum of 1.0m (3.28ft.) from the wall of the garage adjacent to the walk leading to the front entrance and will also include the area from the edge of the driveway to the side property line on the opposite side of the sidewalk to the front door. This parking pad shall be a hard surfaced pad used for parking vehicles or recreational vehicles in the front yard area. (page 23 Land Use Bylaw)

RVs include:

  • Duly licensed travel trailers
  • Motor homes
  • Slide-in campers
  • Chassis-mounted campers
  • Boats
  • All-terrain vehicles
  • Snowmobiles
  • Tent trailers

Click here for RV Parking Frequently Ask Questions (FAQs)

Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED)

Property owners in Penhold can book a CPTED assessment free of charge by contacting the Community Peace Officers at 403 886 3286 or 

Modifying your property can help reduce the opportunity for crime and create environments which enable people to manage their own safety and security effectively. Potential offenders look for opportunity so reducing opportunities reduces the likelihood of potential crime. Our assessment will give you practical suggestions you can implement on your property to reduce the likelihood of crime. 

Penhold Citizens On Patrol Association is part of a Nationally recognized program who works with RCMP to patrol, observe, record and report any suspicious activity within town limits. Essentially acting as an extra set of eyes & ears in the community. In addition to patrols, volunteers also raise awareness regarding crime prevention and safety initiatives



Email :

Social Media: 

-Liaison Award

-Distracted/Impaired Driving program

-Blue Bin Program- Partnered with Cosmos Recycling and numerous local groups, all the funds from bottle recycling deposited at the blue bin located at the ball diamonds goes back to the community.

Safety & Prevention Tips

  • Get to know your neighbours
  • Install motion sensor lighting
  • Fencing
  • Don't leave valuables in your vehicle
  • Lock your doors & gates
  • Cameras( *correct date & time stamp) - Register your camera with the capture program below! 
  • And join your local crime watch group!

Helpful Websites

RCMP Online Reporting

Capture Program (Community Assisted Policing Through the Use of Recorded Evidence).

Donate Toys for Your Ticket

The Penhold Community Peace Officers are once again running the Toys for Tickets program. If you receive a ticket for specific violations in Penhold during the month of November, you can donate toys instead of paying your fine. All toys will be donated to the Red Deer Christmas Bureau to help ensure no child wakes up without a toy on Christmas morning.

How it works: Toys can be dropped off at the Town Office until Dec. 15 and the purchase price paid must be equal to AT LEAST 80% of the value on your violation ticket. Toys must be new and in original packaging, and ticket holders must provide an original receipt showing the value of the toy. Gift cards are accepted (i.e. ToysRUs, Walmart, etc.) but war toys (guns, knives etc.) cannot be donated in lieu of ticket payment.  

The toys will be donated to the Red Deer Christmas Bureau who will distribute the toys to families in need, including Penhold families.

Making a list, checking it twice: Each year, the Christmas Bureau provides a list of popular items on  Christmas lists. For a list of popular items for each age group, check the Red Deer Christmas Bureau’s Toy List. When shopping, consider supporting one of our many amazing local Penhold businesses!

For families in need: If you or someone you know is concerned about finances and could use a little help this holiday season, the Red Deer Christmas Bureau may be able to help. Visit their website to see program requirements and to apply for assistance.

 Donated Toys Accepted:

  • New and unwrapped toy for a boy or girl between the ages of 1 to 15 years of age.
  • Price must be worth min 80% of the amount owed on your ticket.
  • Must have original receipt  to be presented at the time of payment.
  • Gift cards accepted, (i.e. Walmart, Toys R Us, Etc.).
  • NO WAR TOYS (guns, knives etc)

Our goal is to help the children, this program is only applicable on specific violations.  If more information is required, please contact the Town of Penhold at 403-886-4567.

For donation to be accepted, toys must be delivered to the Town Office by 4:30 p.m. Dec 15th, 2021